So, the Windows 10 Creators Update. It’s out, and for the most part it seems good. There’s a lot of new stuff, my personal favourites being the introduction of Game Mode (for better or worse), and the changes to Windows Update which allow you to pause updates. And Storage Sense is worth a mention (basically a smarter, automated disk cleanup). There are niggles too, of course. Chief among them being the introduction of more “suggestions” (read: ads) in different parts of Windows, and a particularly frustrating problem of frame rate issues in games.
Oh geez, that was laboured…
Anyway. Who knew building a mere web page to make a quick SQL query to a database would would be something I thought warranted me waffling about it?
So here’s the deal: over the last few weeks I worked on a small side project at work to build a web page that would display the results of a SQL query/lookup.
This was new for me, since I’m far more used to maintaining the servers that host these things, not building the things themselves. Still, building this has been, dare I say, a rather fun time. After all the troubleshooting (though that holds its own appeal in satisfaction).
Was that a hiatus? Let’s call it a hiatus. Should that be “an” hiatus? Let’s call it semantics and not care.
Is this a weird way to start a post?
You know what really grinds my gears? Opening game clients one by one when I want them all to open and update. So I engaged in a little every-day-scripting to stop the grinding. “Code” inside.
Want a tip? Have a tip. Sometimes tech, sometimes life, sometimes not a tip at all. Now faced with the prospect of not posting this month (shock and horror!), I throw ’em out there with wild abandon.
Satisfy* your hunger after the jump.
Windows updates! “Aww geez, R4mzy, now why’d you go and irritate everyone with such opening words?” Fret not, proverbial commentator, for I am about to tell of a way to make those words a little less headache-inducing! The thing is called WSUS Offline Updates, and you’ll need to vault the Read More button for details.
Oh and, err, a little belated, but Happy New Year and/or whatever it is you do over the December period.
I have been wanting to mumble about my experiences testing Linux out on my gaming system for weeks already. And now it’s the last day of August and I don’t want to break the minimum-of-a-post-a-month thing I’ve had going on, so it’s coming at ya all rush-like. Enjoy.
So one afternoon about a week ago, I found myself needing to change a Windows client’s IP settings. I didn’t want to make the walk up three flights of stairs to do it. So I Google’d a way to do it remotely, and turns out it’s a pretty easy thing to do. More and how after the jump.